Tuesday, January 22, 2013

TWO AND A HALF MINUTES

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pardon the rant.

OK so I have been working for the last three weeks on the Axtell Puppet Video Challenge ... every spare moment I have had. I have shaped my routine between work orders at the hotel only to get to a piece and throw it away and restart all over again. At least three times. I finally got it to the point where I got to something I could live with. I was all set to start the serious filming. I had completed my props. Tomorrow the plan was to film the opening title, the end table scene and the interior of the process/green screen shot.

It had quiet an experience editing and shaping ... wrestling it to the five minute limit. It was going to be tough. But I was going to do it. I was pleased with myself. I had edited it down. I felt a certain accomplishment.

And then I found out. Quite by accident ... actually. I had a couple of questions and wanted to find out the answers. One was If I could give a nod to Tom as my ventriloquist instructor. The other was if the required five second title card counted within the five minute limitation. I found a thread on their discussion page. There I found out it ... there was an error in the original contest rules. The time limit is not five minutes ... it's two and a half.

HALF!!!!

Half. I can't believe it. Once again ... I have to rewrite. I understand. I mean ... I thought ... Wow! Five minutes. That's going to be a good piece of time. Even though I was having to shoehorn it into that slot, I thought it a pretty generous amount of time. I even thought that was a lot for the judges to have to wade through.

 But Holy Moses!!!

So here I go again ... I think I already got it ... And I understand that this is good practise. That in the real ventriloquism world that performance times get cut all the time ... and you just have to adapt.

But two and half minutes!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment